Stupid Things I've Had An Anxiety Attack Over

So this is the first part of a new segment on my blog wherein I try to have an open conversation about mental health. My hope is that maybe some of you can relate to some of it and feel less alone as a result. That, and it might help me get my head around things, and maybe even help my fellow writers out there with writing about mental health issues. But hopefully we can all laugh at least, and please do feel free to laugh... they are very stupid. But that's anxiety for you.

  • Became convinced that my boyfriend was going to run off with my friend... that he'd never met...
  • Thought that my teacher was spying on me.
  • A documentary where I saw a cat with a metallic skull plate.
  • Genuinely believing that imagining my own death would kill me.
  • There was a period of a few weeks where I was convinced I had schizophrenia. 
  • Attending an open day at a university.
  • Being made to cover people's shifts at other locations at work.
  • Sending an email to a historian.
  • For years I could never wear my hair down as it would trigger my anxiety.
  • Wearing a skirt.
  • Seeing a girl I didn't know start crying.
  • Thought at one point that I might have accidentally slipped into a parallel world.
  • Bumping into my dad at the supermarket.
  • My boyfriend's dad asking me what I would like to eat.
  • A water slide.
  • Broken sandals.
  • Mickey Mouse saying 'hello' to me. 
  • Seeing a road sweeper.
  • For a year I couldn't watch most movies through the fear it would trigger me.
  • Nothing.
  • Making a phone call.
  • Answering the door.
  • Not being able to sleep.
  • Became convinced that I was going to have a heart attack (not helped by palpitations).
  • Developing freckles on my nose.
  • My friends wanting to dance with me.
  • Walking down the street.
  • Going swimming and wearing a swimming costume.
  • Seeing a movie in the cinema.
  • Catching a bus or train.
  • Frequently convinced myself that I was going to vomit in front of everyone in school.
  • My teacher speaking too loudly.
  • My friend getting us kicked out of the library for singing the national anthem.
  • The mere thought of being anxious.
  • That certain items of my clothing were cursed (i.e. this one particular shirt would give me diarrhoea).
  • Thinking dogs were going to attack me because I prayed to God one time to cure my phobia.   

Comments