Pixie's Chronicle: Still Disorganised

I am literally writing this right now in the small window of time I managed to snag after getting home from work. Yeah, as you can probably guess, things have been a little bit hectic again, and finding ways to balance my time has been really hard. Though having said that, I still think I've accomplished an alright level of work, especially with how busy I've been. It's been another one of those weeks where everybody just seems to want a piece of me.

It has been a really long week. Oy vey. I've literally been working none stop for two weeks without a single day's break from everything. And for me, that's bad. I need my rest time. I've been handling the stress a lot better than I usually would, but at the same time, I've still been tearing my hair out over everything. There is literally not enough hours in the day.


The main reason I've been so busy this week is because one of my work colleagues has resigned unexpectedly, so I've been covering all of her shifts. So on top of my shifts, I was doing hers as well, and on top of that, I was also working my other job. So this week, I've been working seven days straight with no break. With all of that going on, I'm surprised that I actually managed to get the latest chapter of Madness Within written and updated when I did. Oh yeah so if you haven't read that already, you can do so by clicking here.

Which brings me onto an interesting point actually. Those who have checked out my DeviantArt account recently will have probably already seen all of this, but I wanted to bring it up again in my blog. I've noticed that when I have been receiving constructive criticism for Madness Within, the same points are always raised: how repetitive it can be; how unlikeable Marinette is; how Marinette keeps going around in circles. I mean, that's kind of the point. I thought that people knew this - I'd certainly pointed it out enough times.

So had I gone too far?

Here's my thoughts that I published in my journal on DeviantArt:

"I'm noticing a trend in the constructive criticism that people offer for Madness Within, and this is something that I keep debating with myself as a writer. Am I sacrificing entertainment for realism? One thing that always bugged me about fanfictions that featured a character suffering from a mental illness, was that they always seemed to quickly recover, and we never see their journey of actually healing, along with the trials and tribulations along the way. That was a trap that I didn't want to fall into. I wanted to really explore mental illness, what it does to people, as well as be realistic with how people recover.
But in the process of doing this, have I sacrificed entertainment?

A few people have been complaining that the story can get repetitive and that they're sick of seeing Marinette going around in circles with her recovery. All of that was intentional to accurately represent the issue of mental illness. That's what it's actually like. Life is repetitive for them and things do go round in circles. People can be feeling better one day and then depressed the next. It's not a steady road, there are constant bumps along the way.

But should I have taken it this far? In the process of trying to create an accurate representation, have I created a story that people are getting bored with? A story that annoys some readers? It's always difficult to strike a balance between realism and entertainment, especially as far as representing issues are concerned. Are people so used to the trope of quick recovery that they want to see it in my story too? Or have I just taken things too far and as a result some elements of my story are poorly written?"

Luckily, I did manage to strike up a bit of a debate with some people about this, and I think that LycoRogue and Jowy Avilon have provided me with the most interesting pieces of advice on the story:

"Grain of salt since I haven't read Madness Within yet.

First and foremost: this is fanfiction, and it is YOUR story. If YOU want to tackle the realism of mental illness, than YOU stay true to that. Will you get people who don't get it and whine about it being repetitive and no longer entertaining? Sure. Obviously. However, you will never be able to appease everyone.

What about the people who see themselves in your story? Who feel that backslide? Who is glad someone is actually showing what it's like to suffer as they do? What if they're too shy or drained to leave you reviews begging you to continue? Personally, I think they're the more important ones; the ones who see themselves in your work, and don't have many stories they can say that about.

Regardless of if you have more fans than haters, more haters than fans, you're helping hundreds feel represented or just one person, the main thing is what do YOU want to tell? Would you feel the story would suffer if you didn't write it the way YOU want? Would you regret changing tactics?

If you were to write this as original work to be professionally published, yes, a publisher and/or editor might want you to refine a touch. But this is FREE READING and FOR FUN! So who cares what would be professional? You do you!"
        - LycoRogue
"I have to agree with LycoRogue on her points. Especially the point of this is your story, you write it as you please. People that suffer from mental illness don't get a lot of representation in any form of media, especially entertainment ones. When they do, it's either poorly done and over romanticized or played for laughs. People who have mental illness need better representation, and I think you're providing that. If other people don't like it or find it repetitive, then in my opinion tough. This is the true side to mental illness, people don't just magically recover quickly. It can take years, if they recover at all. And to those people who complain or want something different I say, there are other fics out there you can go read if you don't like it. There are even fics by Pixie that isn't focused around the element of mental illness, go read those. Don't try to drag her and her work down just because ONE story isn't what you agree with.

So to your question, yes you should have taken it this far, because it's the story you wanted to tell, and one that needs to be told. This isn't a story other people want you to tell to satisfy them. It's not poorly written, the people that don't like it are probably just uncomfortable, and don't want to be made to feel like that. To that I say, good, be uncomfortable to those who are, because this is the truth behind mental illness. It's dark, it's hard, people don't recover quickly, and most importantly, it sucks. And as a final note, I say once again, if you don't like that, it if makes you too uncomfortable, you know where the door is."
        - Jowy Avilon

So I think I've got the hint that I should probably just continue writing Madness Within the way I have been doing and the way I have planned all along. I've tried to find balance with that story, but if I sacrifice too much of the realism for the sake of entertainment, then it's not going to be an accurate representation of the issue of trauma, grief and mental illness. So many people have privately messaged me, telling me their stories and struggles with mental health, and then telling me how much my story means to them because of how accurately I've captured the emotions and process of it all. I don't want to let those people down. And for what? To make Marinette the perfect, amazing Mary-Sue character who never makes mistakes or hurts people? Because the arduous repetition of mental illness makes my writing look bad? Because of the slow-burn? Marinette and Chat Noir aren't going to get together because they're two dark tortured souls, effectively romanticising mental illness, and, realistically speaking, would create a toxic relationship. Marinette and Chat Noir are going to get together because they're evolving into better people and are trying/want to get better.

Phew, that little rant ended up going on longer than I thought. Well, it's not really a rant. I'm not mad or upset with the people who left such comments and suggestions, as I know that they were just trying to help and voice their opinions, which they have every right to and I actively encourage. I just think that maybe these people have missed the point or were hoping for a different kind of story. So no, I don't think I'm going to be sacrificing realism for entertainment. I'll always keep working to improve, but I refuse to go down the quick fix route in terms of storyline. Life's a bitch. Maybe it's time we had some fanfiction that actually properly reflects that.

Anyway, I'll shut up about Madness Within now. Though I will say that the story will likely be updated this Friday, so be sure to keep an eye out for that.

Because I've been so busy at work, Chat Vert ended up being pushed back, and will now likely be updated on Tuesday. However, while at work, I have had time to daydream and plan my stories, especially Immortal Bond and Professeur Noir. It looks like things will be calming down at work next week, so I'm hoping to get some hardcore writing done, and especially get Immortal Bond published again very soon.

My AO3 account has ended up being neglected again which is really annoying me. I just haven't been finding the time to edit the chapters I've been wanting to upload. Again, I'm hoping that with things being quieter next week, I can get right back onto that. I still haven't found the time to publish Chat Vert onto that site either. Not that I'm expecting the story to be popular on there, but it certainly gives me the incentive to re-edit my already published chapters and tidy them up a bit. Because ugh! There are so many stupid typos that I always miss, no matter what.

However, my editing bug has been helped by helping Jowy Avilon, who's hoping to get back into writing fanfiction again. I don't know why, but despite the fact that I can't seem to edit my own work properly, I'm really good at editing other people's. So yeah, he's effectively hired me as his editor. You can check out his fanfiction profile by clicking here, which I recommend if you're looking for Mega Man, Metroid or Sonic the Hedgehog fics to read.

Considering I've been so busy this week, I actually don't have that much more to talk about. I don't really have much time to type stuff out anyway since I'm starving and want some dinner, and also want to have a tiny bit of relax time before bed. I'm especially brain dead after all of the stupid people that I've had to deal with today. And I've got to do it all again tomorrow. Help me.

Comments

  1. Glad myself and @LycoRogue were able to help you come to terms with Madness Withing. I stand by what I said on it. It's good for people who struggle with Mental Illness to have something that represents them that they can read, that really speaks to their struggles.

    Also thanks for the plug at the end. For clarification though, there is nothing on the Metroid front as advertised. My only endeavor into the Metroid universe is a fic I started, that was a crossover between Mega Man X and Metroid many years ago, but it never went anywhere and I plan to remove it soon-ish. Maybe someday in the far future I might give it another go from the ground up, but for now, it's only Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Squish's comment below certainly proves that. In fact, plenty of people have messaged me in appreciation and I think it just goes to sure how poorly this issue is represented in any form of media, even something as small and humble as fanfiction.

      You're welcome! And oops, sorry for that error. I just listed them from the top of your fanfiction profile without really checking properly because I was in a rush to get this post finished.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous26/8/19 12:08

    I have to agree with both LycoRouge and Jowy Avilon about Madness Within. This story is your fanfic so you can write it however you want. It may be so excruciatingly painfully slow to update but every chapter has been so worth it just to read something so realistic. We mostly get over romantisized mental illnesses and much too quick recoveries when it gets portrayed in entertainment media. That's how it gets portrayed and so that's how it's seen. People don't understand how these kind of things affect people, but it's different for everyone. I've seen loved ones reacting horribly to what others might say isn't much. Bad enough to have to be constantly monitored. I've reacted terribly to being worn down long enough to the point of panic attacks, constant self loathing, etc. It's painful and recovery isn't something that I think will be happening anytime soon. It might be why I love your fic so much. It's realistic, it's not easy and recovery is slow, but it isn't a bad thing. Despite how slow it might be it's such a hopeful thing getting better at all. Having someone to help you recover is so hopeful too. I wouldn't want a story so quick and painless because it doesn't show the process of suffering and recovery enough. I feel like something like this might help people relate and maybe those happy moments of healing might make them a feel just that little bit better on a really shitty day. I mean hey it's even brought a genuine smile to my face before, despite how rare that might be. I've been here for a while now and Madness Within has grown into something really beautiful.

    So yeah, sorry about my rant. Thanks again so much for writing this story. Taking your time to write it means so much. I really hope you get a break to be able to get some rest and relaxation. Take care of yourself and like I always say, have a lovely day.

    - Call me Squish because any other nickname I come up with is too morbid or depressing

    Also sorry about any spelling errors, grammatical errors, and repetitive lines. It tends to happen sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey no worries! And don't worry about ranting at all. I wouldn't even call it ranting, they were all very valid points and you have every right to express your opinion. It's seeing reactions like these that remind me to keep it real and not cave to those who want more la-di-dah entertainment. Not that I blame them, that's their own personal taste, it's just that reading my fic if you have those expectations probably isn't such a good idea.

      I like the nickname squish. In fact squishy is one of my favourite words, lol. It's always happy sounding. I get what you mean. Most of my ideas are dark and depressing too. And it's okay, I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors, and even if you had made some I wouldn't have minded as long as it was readable.

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope that things go positive for you! Wishing you all the happiness and wellness!

      Delete
    2. Holy smokes! I'm not even the author, and seeing how much the story affects you made me tear up! <3 Sending positive vibes to both you lovely people!

      Delete
    3. I cry every time someone tells me how much they relate to the story and how much it means to them to see this kind of representation.

      Delete
  3. What they said lol. Write the story you want to tell, not what other people want you to tell. It's a very frustrating story, but mental illness is frustrating as well. I like the realism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha thank you! Yeah, mental illness sure as hell is frustrating, and people become frustrated with those who have it, so I guess that just goes to show how accurate my portrayal is, lol. Man...typing that made me so sad/mad. Thank you for your support! It means the world to me!

      Delete
  4. I'm alive! I'm now going to try to go through as many of your blog posts I've had backlogged since like late-June. So... sorry (not sorry) about the flood of notifications.

    WOW! I've worked 7+ days straight before, but never when bouncing between 2 jobs, and they've been when I've had my desk job. I can't imagine how exhausting it is to be on your feet without any days off for that many days. So, yeah, be proud of the writing you did manage. That's more impressive than maybe you realize.

    I'm glad my advice (as poorly written – holy crow, typos! - as it was) helped you out, and that you had other support to stay true to you. It's a brave decision to not kowtow to the criticism. Although, I do appreciate that you still acknowledge them as valid.

    I really do need to backtrack through your blogs, because... “Professeur Noir”!? I need to know what inspired this and what you're planning! I'm so excited that you're making progress with “Immortal Bond” (now for me to make progress on OatS >_> ) And I think “Chat Vert” could be popular on AO3. I've found some Lukanette fans there. It may not be as popular as Love Square fics, but non-Love-Square are hardly ever popular in comparison. (also also... I catch typos post-publication on my stuff too; we all do that. I've read professionally published works that had at least 5 typos in the whole book, so don't beat yourself up too much about that.)

    Finally, it's so much easier to edit someone else's work. For one: you don't know what they're trying to say, so you're more hyper-focused on the writing and can pick up mistakes or confusing phrasing easier. Two: you aren't as attached to it, so if something doesn't work it's easier to say so than it is with your own writing. Three: You don't have to think of alternatives if phrasing or a section or characterization doesn't work. You just need to point it out to the author. MUCH easier than when you notice something wrong in your own stuff but go “Crud. Now how can I rework that!?” You also think differently than the author, so you may see something they don't, which means maybe it's easier for you to find an alternative that works better than what's in the writing. This is why betas are so helpful (so always love your betas, folks ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay. Like I said on Facebook, you have your own life to lead, so don't worry about catching up or feeling like you have to comment on every single post. Though I do really appreciate it hehe. And yeah, I hate being busy like that. I am on my feet constantly these days, and even though I know that's healthier than me, I still appreciate a nice sit down lol.

      Yeah, I agree. It's still frustrating though, because I'm like "damn, why can't I be that meticulous with my own work" lol. *sighs* If only.

      Delete

Post a Comment