Pixie's Chronicle: Freedom!

Bonjour! Oh happy days! I finally have some decent time off work! The freedom feels glorious! But my freedom didn't exactly start off too great, and my last day at work went out with a bang. Because of course it did. This is me that we're talking about, lol. It's been a pretty busy and stressful week, and I'm glad that I have some time off now, as I'm not sure how much more I could take at work. It's been hell.

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of writing news other than what I told you guys last week. Due to the stress of everything, I ended up completely forgetting to finish my review of the episode Felix. I'm such a cheese brain sometimes - okay pretty much all the time. So yeah, I'm really sorry about that. It wasn't until it got to about Wednesday that I suddenly realised. Though I imagine you guys are probably used to me doing stuff like this by now. Again, I'm sorry. Anyway, this has been my week.


For some reason we had to have yet another inspection at work this week - twice in fact. And low and behold, my manager had 'coincidentally' booked time off during the promotion change again. Once, yeah, it's probably a coincidence. Twice, I guess it still could be. But this is the fifth time now. It's driving us mental, because the rest of us have no idea what we're doing, and we ultimately get the blame for anything that goes wrong. The manager should always be there to handle it, but ours just isn't, which sucks.

I had to get up at about 5am that day because I was on delivery duty, which I hate, but I suppose I have to take my turn with it sometimes. I just hate being on my own in the office at 6am with a bunch of the town's weirdos wandering around outside. That, and I'm terrible at small talk, so things are always awkward between me and the delivery guy. I always just end up silently getting on with my work, praying that they won't ask any questions that I have no idea how to answer. Like what happened this week. Someone had left an envelope among the stuff for the delivery guy to take back to HQ, and he asked me about it to which all I could do was shrug. Nobody ever tells me anything.

Another reason I hate doing delivery duty is because I have to sort through all of the heavy crates on my own. It's really hard work, and we all know how clumsy I am. The supervisor ended up walking through the door at 8am to find me lying down in a sweaty heap on the floor. Needless to say, as soon as I got home after my shift had ended, I passed out.

Wednesday was the day of the second inspection, and I made a great impression arriving a few minutes late thanks to the stupid buses. Luckily, I don't think they noticed. The regional manager ignored me as per usual, which is rude, but I guess I should be thankful because it at least means that she's not shouting at me over something. The rest of the day was pretty average.

Thursday was the day from hell though. As soon as I woke up, I knew that I was gonna have a bad time. I nearly slept through my alarm, so I ended up running late. Then the bus was late - again. So I ended up having to rush through the process of opening the store that day because once again, I had been left in charge, which already had me grumpy and hating the day. My manager had left me a huge list of stuff to do which I wasn't too bothered about at first. It was a rainy day, so I figured that things would be quiet. And for the first half of the day, it was.

But then every person in town for some reason decided to come in. So while I'm trying to tidy things up for the third inspection, customers were messing things back up soon afterwards, consuming my time by asking stupid questions and arguing with me for telling them to wear a mask or I'd be kicking them out, and then I had an old lady call and start shouting at me because she wanted to order something online but she didn't know how to do it, as if it was somehow my fault, and then I had another lady shouting at me because her address on our system was wrong and, for some reason, the system didn't register that the street she lived on existed. Oh yeah, that's totally my fault. I told her the only way she could fix it was call customer services, but she refused on the grounds that it was my fault and that I should fix it. Yeah, sure Karen.

I also planned on closing the store early so I could finish cleaning and prepare for the electricians and security that would be working in the store overnight. However, just as I was on the phone to my manager over not hearing anything from the security guard that was supposed to have arrived an hour ago, a customer tried to come into the store. Annoyingly, I had to let her in since we didn't technically close for another five minutes. I hate people who go into a shop literally five minutes before closing. Fair enough if you know you're going to be very quick. It's still annoying, but okay. But this lady wanted my help with all sorts. I just find that sort of thing rude. I think next time I get a customer who tries to stay past closing, I'm just gonna threaten to lock them in the place overnight. I'm getting sick of it.

The electricians arrived, but no security guard, and they couldn't start work until security was there. It was way past the end of my shift and I was getting really pissed off and impatient. I've been doing enough unpaid overtime. Apparently this kind of thing had happened last time they tried to come and fix some of our electrics overnight. Security just never showed up, and it looked like the same thing was going to happen again. Once again, they had driven all that way for nothing. I tried to get in contact with the security team in the company, but of course, they weren't answering.

In the end, I had to send them away because it was clear that nobody was going to show up. I have no clue what keeps going on, but it's beyond a joke at this point. That's a nice paycheck that those guys keep missing out on thanks to the company's constant incompetence.

Speaking of their incompetence, they got my paycheck wrong yesterday. In fact, they got everyone's paycheck in my team wrong. So yeah, we're having to report them for that. When talking to people from other stores, theirs seems to be okay - it's just us. We have no idea why. So now, everyone in my team is short of money. It's not like we all have bills to pay and families to look after. We're seriously starting to feel like we're being targeted at this point.

There was more bad luck and bad news in the form of my local area needing to 'quarantine' again. I say that sarcastically because the whole thing makes no sense. We have the worst COVID-19 infection rate in the whole of Europe, so the government has introduced measures to try and 'help'. A term I use very loosely there. The rules are simple: don't go to each other's houses. That's it. That's the only rule. We can still go shopping, go to pubs and hang out with a bunch of strangers, we just can't go to their houses. It makes no sense, I know. As if people follow the rules anyway. So yeah, you can't visit your parents at their house, but you can meet with them in a small pub filled with strangers. Makes total sense.

Even more annoyingly, this means that my mum has had to cancel her trip to spend time with my grandma. She's pretty cut up about it understandably. She's all on her own, no one else in the family bothers, and when my mum finally gets the opportunity to do something, something else just has to get in the way. We're currently feeling really awful about it.

Not exactly the best start to my vacation.

To top it all off, in the middle of the night last night, I tripped over the vacuum cleaner in the dark and have badly bruised my toe, my finger and my arm. Oh yeah, and I spilt hot soup everywhere yesterday as well. Suffice to say, lady luck has not been on my side for the past two days. Oh, and my manager was also shouting at me yesterday for hardly getting any of the work she had set me done, despite me explaining my situation with customers yesterday. I actually ended up losing my temper with her a little bit, which I probably shouldn't have done, but hey, it made her back off.

So yeah, that's pretty much been my week. Things have been a bit more relaxed today, and hopefully that trend continued across the rest of my vacation. I'm going to be catching up on some much needed sleep and chill time. Not to mention all the writing I should finally hopefully be able to to get done! That's one thing that I'm definitely excited for. Two whole weeks of no work! Woohoo!

See ya soon!

Comments